Sunday, December 14, 2008

Our Christmas Letter 2008

I composed a Christmas letter that did not actually make it into the Christmas envelopes I purchased for our cards. Hunter wouldn't let me on the computer (yes, sometimes he is the boss of me and I didn't feel like arguing) so I gave up and decided to post it here and send it out via e-mail (I'm just THAT lazy)! Today was filled with Christmas cookie baking and Christmas present wrapping (all me). It's a winter wonderland outside and I'm enjoying the cozy warmth of our home!

Here's the letter if interested (it's a bit lengthy):

Merry Christmas from our family to yours!

On the day after Thanksgiving, our family decorated our home with Christmas decorations. At the end of that day, Mitch and I rejoiced, as it was our first experience in eight-and-a-half years of marriage where we did not get into a fight putting up the tree. Yes, I begin this Christmas letter with a healthy dose of honesty. We sometimes have our bumpy times as a family but, at the end of the day, we feel incredibly blessed to have each other and our many experiences, whether they are good, bad or something in between.

Hunter turned four-years-old in 2008 but, when asked, he will tell people that he is five-years-old. Hunter has grown up a lot this past year. In July, Hunter began karate at National Karate in Edina. While the start was a “bit” bumpy, he now excitedly enters the room and proudly shows all of his moves. He participated in his first tournament this fall. At first he was hesitant to go in front of the judges, but eventually did and earned his first trophy for doing so. The trophy is taller than he is! At this point, Hunter has earned a white belt with two gold stripes. We are very proud of him! Hunter also taught himself how to play Guitar Hero. He has shown that when motivated, he will just figure things out himself, which I think will serve him well in life, but can be a little frustrating when we don’t want him to do something. Hunter truly is a music lover and chooses Rock as his favorite genre by far. Hunter also loves drawing pictures of garbage trucks and can write a few words, including his name and the word As, which happened by accident but was exciting nevertheless. Hunter will begin kindergarten in the fall of 2009. Amazing!

Mason is a little man! He began this year as a baby and has grown into a walking toddler with attitude. He already speaks a few words, including Hunter, Bruiser, ball, and NO (which is certainly his favorite). He absolutely loves cheese sandwiches, cereal bars, bananas, and graham crackers. He is content to play with toys, especially balls and cars, but is not the most enthusiastic napper. He points and waves and also knows where his feet are. When prompted to do so, Mason will put his feet up so mommy or daddy can put his shoes on. Mason has also been quite intrigued by our Christmas tree this season. Much to Hunter’s dismay, Mason pushes the train below the tree off its track and pulls the ornaments, especially the ball shaped ones, off the tree. Mason has kissable cheeks and loves to snuggle. He is also a tank, weighing in at nearly thirty pounds…all muscle of course.

I (Beth) greeted the new year by returning to work after a four-and-a-half month maternity leave. The transition back into my professional life was challenging. Not only was I leaving my new little baby, I was also entering into a teaching situation where I was perceived as the substitute instead of the teacher. I continued graduate school and spent spring break composing my final paper anxious to bring that experience to a close. I proudly announce that in June 2008 I graduated with a Master’s degree in Education. I entered the summer looking forward to nothing other than spending time with my boys and enjoying some free time for the first time in two years! I am currently teaching at Edina High School and have enjoyed being the only teacher in my classroom this year. Also, while I did say in my Christmas letter last year that I planned on participating in a triathlon in 2008, I now vow that 2009 will be my comeback year! We’ll see!

Mitch had an excellent 2008. Professionally, he has experienced great success this year, which has, from my perspective, reignited his passion for fitness and personal training. Personally, Mitch has been able to enjoy some hobbies that he has had to put on hold in the past. Mountain biking has become his new thing. Mitch is anxious to introduce his friends to this new passion and will talk about his biking experiences to anyone who will listen. Mitch has also really loved being the father of two little boys. Hunter is his father’s clone, thus Mitch has enjoyed nurturing Hunter’s interest in four-wheeling, biking, and rocking out! Mason, while a more sensitive soul (perhaps more like his mommy), thinks that Mitch is the best and loves to use him as a jungle gym.

Bruiser continues to live a life of leisure. I wish I could get that much sleep! Currently, his favorite hangout is the area around Mason’s highchair. Mason has already learned that giving Bruiser scraps is super cool.

We hope that this holiday season and the coming year brings you happiness and fulfillment. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Until next year!

Mitch, Beth, Hunter, Mason, and Bruiser Mohs

No comments: