Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas in North Dakota

Hunter, as a baby, was a wonderful traveler.... He slept often and amused himself with books and toys. Mason and Hunter do NOT have this quality in common, much to our dismay! If Mason had not mastered his high-pitched, blood curdling scream before our trip to Beulah, North Dakota (eight hours west of the Twin Cities), then he definitely did so during this particular car ride. What is typically an eight hour trip became a ten hour trip easy because of our frequent stops. We actually stopped in Fargo, North Dakota and let the boys run free for about an hour at Dinosaur Land at West Acres. About a half hour after we left Dinosaur Land, Mason was screaming once again.

We did make it to Beulah, in time for dinner, thank goodness. We also knew going into the trip that my mom had purchased a Wii play system for my father. Hunter knew this as well and headed straight to the downstairs television for bowling and boxing, etc. Hunter was so excited to play with his cousin Hudson, who is a year younger than Hunter. They got along swimmingly this year. I think I can say with confidence that there was only one crabby exchange between the two boys.

We decided not to attend the Christmas Eve church service as it was at 7:30 p.m. which is an hour past Mason's bedtime and Hunter's actual bedtime. We did not think the boys would really appreciate having to sit still in dress clothes for over an hour. I was sad to miss church but also felt like we made a wise decision (for the sake of the little ones). After the three little boys fell asleep, the adults exchanged gifts! We were given very generous gifts- gift cards, pajamas, Chanel perfume, a North Face fleece, Vikings sweatshirt, etc. I truly felt spoiled.

Christmas morning was very special. Because Hunter was highly aware of Christmas and Santa this year, I really went overboard in the gift department. I was so excited to see his excitement. On top of that, my family also treated the boys very generously. The highlight for Mason was his fourwheeler. The highlight for Hunter was pretty much everything he opened! He truly reacts the "right way" during gift giving. He is very thankful and excited.

My two sisters left with their families on Christmas day and traveled to their in-laws. We stayed and enjoyed a dinner of Prime Rib and lots of wine (for me) with my parents. I sat on the floor pretty much all day with the two boys and played with toys. So much fun!

We played a ton of Wii at my parents' house. I was actually sore the next day, after having played tennis and boxing. Hunter built his first snow fort. My parents have drifts as high as their back windows!

We left mid-day on the 26th for Wadena, Minnesota. Mason screaming started about a half hour into the trip....

Coming soon- a post on our "Christmas at the Farm and Golf Course House"

No comments: