Friday, August 7, 2009

Just a Family Update

Mitch update: Mitch announced earlier in the week that he wanted to take Hunter on a Saturday adventure to Mankato, Minnesota for the Vikings training camp. Because I'm starting to dig football and needing family time, I told Mitch that Mason and I were tagging along! I'm excited. Mitch is also mountain bike racing on Sunday with his brother, Mike at Buck Hill. He was completely pumped to sign up for the Clydesdale class. I will be home with five little ones. I am also trying to convince him to sign up for an off-road triathlon, which consists of paddling (instead of swimming), mountain biking, and trail running. I think he could do it... we'll see if my powers of persuasion work their magic.

Beth update: I am in training for my 10 mile race on September 27th. I ran with my friend and training partner, Jodi, this past Wednesday. She mapped out a more-than-eight-mile-course and we ran the first 6.2 no problem. We could have easily continued had my leg not completely seized up; I have terrible I-T band issues (leg/knee). That prompted a new shoes purchase and a non-impact workout last night- weights, cross-trainer, and stationary bike. I will attempt the run again next Wednesday. I will remember that I'm old and that I need to hydrate and stretch prior to and after the run. I can honestly say that at this point in my life, I am stronger and more capable than I have ever been; however, the wear-and-tear on my body is getting me down. I didn't hurt in my 20s as I do in my 30s.

Hunter update: We are totally on our way to kindergarten. This past week, I tried to get Hunter excited about this new transition by taking him to Target to purchase his school supplies. What's cool about kindergarten is that basically the parents donate all the supplies and then all the kids share them; therefore, no one is left out for any reason- no one is without or has better than anyone. We bought boxes of crayons, markers, pencils, glue sticks, various art supplies, like wiggly eyes and pom poms, etc. We will very shortly be purchasing his school backpack which will probably be Star Wars themed. Hunter is a Star Wars expert and is convinced that Darth Maul and Darth Vader are good guys. I think he wants them to be good because they look so darn cool.

Mason update: Mason is just a sweetie pie. Besides his constant demands for juice, he is such an easy little toddler (knocking on wood as I say that). He understands the concept of time-out so will behave to avoid that tragedy and will say "no nigh, nigh" when I tell him it's time for bed. (I'd love it if someone would put me in time-out or down for a nap). Today, because of the rain, I took the boys to Edinborough Park to burn off some steam. Mason loved it and decided that he wanted to go up into the park, which is full of fun stuff to do. Unfortunately, I am extremely claustrophobic, so I have to do a lot of positive self talk when I'm up there. Nothing like your almost-two-year-old running away from you amidst thousands of kids to force you to get over your neurosis. He loved the huge slides and loved climbing the padded ladders. He also loved the hanging pads, which reminds me of something football players would do during practice. Mason just throws himself into them and through them and has a great time. Both boys loved playing basketball.

Bruiser update: today, Bruiser is getting groomed and has enjoyed playing with our neighbors' dog, Stella, in the backyard. Also, yesterday, Bruiser had an encounter with a calico cat in our backyard. Bruiser was terrified of it and would growl at it and then run away. It was quite hilarious.

I have about three weeks left of summer vacation. I feel like I blinked and the summer is over. Overall, we've had such a great summer at home. Yes, there have been some rough days, but for the most part, we've kept ourselves busy and had a lot of fun- pool/lake, park, zoo, coloring, museum, etc. I am going to miss them when I return to work in the fall. I've grown quite attached :).

No comments: