Monday, July 6, 2009

A Detour from the Usual

Let's call this week "The Week of Obsessing About Not Drowning in Lake Nokomis When I Attempt to Swim a Mile and Not Falling Off My Bike During the 25 miles of Road I Have to Race and Not Passing Out During the 6.2 Mile Run After Doing Everything That Came Before."

Stuff About the Swim: I have completed two lakes swims to date and will have my third and final practice in the lake tomorrow night. Getting into the lake calmed some fears and ignited others. I can do the freestyle in the lake and I can sight okay. However, lake water moves, so I felt like I was fighting the current. I also felt like my body was stuck in the middle of the lake. I felt I was making absolutely no progress.

Oh, and I've found that so many people feel compelled to share their horror stories just before you step into the water. In the past four days, two people told me about triathlon drownings. Then a couple clever fishermen thought it would be funny to talk about the giant fish swimming in Cedar Lake just as I was stepping in. A 5 foot musky (spelling?) you say? I could take him! An alligator sighting in 1965? Alligatros don't scare the likes of me!

Stuff About the Bike: I biked a bit yesterday. Yep, those clipless pedals are still causing me some angst. I can get my feet in and out no problem except in times of stress. :) Let's hope that I see no bumps, potholes, other bikers, etc.

Stuff About the Run: I ran 6 miles on Friday night and felt pretty good. I'm really not nervous about the run, other than the fact that it's the last leg of the triathlon. I expect I'll be tired. Hopefully the adrenaline will continue pumping through my veins during the entire race. Too bad I can't bottle up and give myself intravaneously some of that infinite energy my little ones have.

And Being the Girl I Am: I now I have my pink tanktop to wear over my tri suit prior to the race. It matches the cute flowers on my tri shorts and the pink water bottle I purchased yesterday. I have my waterproof mascara. I have my Luna Moon "Nutrition for Women" snacks for the bike ride. I also have plans to head out for a night on the town after the race. Yeah, so a day of work is enough to make me go to bed at 8 p.m. on a Friday night. I'll so be ready to go out and celebrate.

No comments: