Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pumped for Kindergarten

On Tuesday evening, Mitch and I headed to Sheridan Hills Elementary School with Hunter and Mason for kindergarten orientation. Now, this was an experience because I think we all remember our time in kindergarten, and now here's my son preparing for his school-age years! Very emotional! Hunter was very excited about the idea of a new school and walked in with us quite willingly. He did get nervous once we were in. Because I completely dropped the ball on some of the forms I was supposed to complete (though I was by far not the only one), registration at the door was quite easy. We headed into the cafeteria where Hunter sat at the table and ate animal crackers and cut shapes with the new scissors the school gifted to each new student. Following that, we took Hunter to one of the classrooms where two of the teachers had activities planned for the kids while parents attended a meeting. Mitch had to leave with Mason shortly after because Mason was just not in the mood. I learned about the curriculum and volunteer opportunities, etc. I really felt like a grown up. I'm the mother of a child who will be a senior in high school before you know it. I think I'm going to cry. Anyway.... I digress.... The highlight of the evening was taking a bus ride with Hunter following the program. Words cannot describe his excitement! Now each morning he tells me that he wants to go to kindergarten today, on the bus of course. One of the things I love about being a parent is that my kids remind me that it's the little things, like a bus ride or eating animal crackers, that make life so special.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I can't believe he's going to be going into kindergarten! He's growing so fast. It feels like just yesterday when we were moving in and he was SO small!!!