Thursday, June 17, 2010

Metaphorically speaking

Damn that Leona Lewis who had to go and title one of her songs, "Bleeding in Love." The other day when I was driving Mason to school, that song came on. I wish I could say I was listening to NPR or something scholarly. I have to admit that I had the radio tuned to KDWB. Well, Hunter was along for the ride and heard the song and, utterly perplexed, asked me, "Mom, why is she bleeding? Did she get cut? Does she have an owie*?" I tried to explain that she felt so sad that she felt like she was bleeding but I really don't think that answer satisfied him. I teach high school English and I spend most of the year helping high school students understand non-literal, figurative language. Most of them don't even get it.

Another example- today I was listening to Vanilla Ice. I'm not going to try to explain myself- it's bad, I know. Hunter's response to the song: "What's this song about? Is the baby made of ice?" As I ummed and awed*, he came to a conclusion: "Oh, wait a minute Mom, I get it. The baby is blue. I got it." I thought that was a pretty good explanation because I realized that I don't even know what "Ice Ice Baby" is about.

*I realized in writing this entry that I don't know how to spell owie or awed (ahed). Add that to the list of words I cannot spell, which includes popsycle/popcycle/popsicle. Yes, I teach English. Even though it's a popular belief, we can't explain every grammatical rule and we can't spell every word in the English language. At least, I can't.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

LOL! Good post. As far as spelling goes, you can't be good at everything. That would be irritating :).