Monday, April 6, 2009

It Happened One Night

I have been super productive. There was not a moment wasted during my spring break. I began painting on Monday morning and we finished putting the house back together at about 8:30 p.m. last night. Now, I do also have stacks of papers to grade and lessons to plan. None of that got done over break but today, my first day back to work, was very productive and I made a slight dent in that stack. I picked up Hunter at 3:30 p.m. and we headed home for a snack and to prepare for karate. I felt so in control I should have known something would go awry.

After karate and after picking up Mason, we headed home to make dinner and to get ready for bedtime. That's when it began. As Mason screamed and banged his spoon on his highchair tray, Bruiser stole a chicken strip off of Hunter's plate and proceeded to swallow it whole, though I didn't know that last detail at the time. I learned that detail after Bruiser threw up the damn chicken strip followed by the remaining contents in his stomach (this is pretty gross and it gets worse). I cleaned up the ickies the best I could and then finished cooking for Hunter and Mason. Because I'm trying to eat healthier, I opted to cook myself a can of lentil soup instead of consuming the yummy mac and cheese I was preparing for the boys. Not until I filled my bowl did I realize the mistake I had made. Just think about the Bruiser catastrophe that happened minutes earlier and then match that up with what I was spooning into my bowl. I decided to work through the nausea and set my bowl on the table. Now, Hunter has become extremely observant and vocal about his observations. He asked me if I was eating Bruiser's "stuff." I told him no but thought he made an interesting, albeit gross, observation.

Mason screamed through all of this of course and then during his bathtime I could hear squeaking down in the entryway. As I wrapped Mason in his bath towel and headed into the living room, I was surprised to find Bruiser lying on the floor of our entryway having a seizure. I raced Mason into the bedroom and threw his jammies on him so I could tend to Bruiser. As I was taking care of Bruiser, Hunter was screaming about wanting to go outside to play baseball. I told him that was no longer a possibility in light of Bruiser's health issues. Bad mom alert- I told Hunter to just go watch a movie so I could take care of Bruiser. Somehow, Hunter broke the DVD player. It has completely "frozen" up. I cannot get it to do anything- not even shut off.

I'm getting ready for round 2- bath for Hunter, snack for Hunter, bedtime for Hunter, and then I'm off for triathlon training. To follow that I need to grade some papers and try not to eat anything comforting or drink anything that might make me feel a bit better.

3 comments:

The Bormann Family said...

OH MY, what a hectic night:)) Welcome back from spring break!

Kellie said...

And during the middle of it all your I come over and interrupt everything going on. Mason crying in the tub, Bruiser having a seizure on the landing and Hunter spazzing out wanting to play.

Talk about bad timing on my part! So sorry! :)

Shari said...

Anyone with kids can sympathize with your night. Hopefully bruiser is ok, and that the dvd player will be healed soon as well as we know that is a necessity with children!