Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Carrier Monkeys

There is a scene in a movie titled "One Fine Day," starring Michelle Pfeifer (playing Melanie) and George Clooney where Melanie's boss looks at her little boy and asks, "Do you know what I think of when I look at him?" Melanie smiles, ready for a compliment that identifies her son as an angel or God's gift to all creation, or something like that. The boss's answers, instead, "Carrier monkey."

I thought of this scene today as I walked into the Urgent Care at Quello Clinic knowing in my heart of hearts that I had pink eye, contracted from none other than my oldest son Hunter, whose pediatrician confirmed his pink eye yesterday! "Why?" I was asking myself. Should I not be exempt from illnesses and ailments like this? Do I not have enough to deal with in a day? I can't say my visit was all bad, though. I got in to see the Urgent Care doctor immediately, which really could be labeled a miracle. Literally. The receptionist was friendly. There was a TV in the waiting room which was tuned to NBC's (I think) show "Doctors" on which the doctors were ironically discussing pink eye with a caller. The doctor on the show was telling the caller, as I filled out my health form, that mothers are more likely to contract pink eye from their children than anyone else! Awesome news for me I guess! The doctor I spoke to also encouraged me to get this sore throat of mine checked out. I guess it's not a good thing when a symptom persists for over a month with no good (or obvious) reason. Another awesome for me!

As I look into the near future, namely my evening with the boys, I know that I will need to battle Hunter to put his eye drops in. I will need to battle Hunter so he'll take his medicine for his zillionth ear infection. I will need to deal with dinnertime, bathtime, storytime, bedtime, and this damn messy house, which just never stays picked up and clean. The one easy part of the evening will be when I put my own eyedrops in, knowing it's the best thing for me. I'm the mom, I should know!

I shall write on a more upbeat topic in the near future.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Well, at least your house is soon to be a single color again... :) I saw the painters there over lunch working away!